Published on 11 Apr 13
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper specifically examined the latest superannuation news, legislation changes and ATO updates including:
- Recent superannuation news, rulings and ATO updates:
- cases regarding SMSFs
- developments regarding implementation of Cooper reforms
- ATO IDs and other ATO announcements.
- TR 2011/D3 and the MYEFO announcement:
- consideration for estate planning
- areas of concern not outlined in the MYEFO announcement
- interaction with other estate planning and superannuation strategies.
- SMSFR 2012/1 – Borrowing ruling:
- ATO view on replacement assets and single acquirable asset
- consideration of repairs, maintenance and renovations
- areas of concern and practical implications.
- Contributions to superannuation:
- recent contribution developments and cases
- where are we with contribution reform?
- common excess contribution scenarios to avoid.
- Worked case studies:
- common contribution issues
- borrowing in superannuation
- contributions strategies
- payment of benefits on death post MYEFO announcement.
Jemma is a Director of Cooper Partners Financial Services, heading up their SMSF specialist services. Jemma provides strategic advice on SMSFs, estate planning and wealth management to clients, as well as technical support and consultancy to accounting, legal and financial planning groups. Jemma has over 19 years’ experience in developing complex strategies for high net worth clients. Jemma has a Bachelor of Commerce from UWA and is a Certified Financial Planner, a Specialist Member of the SMSF Association (SMSFA), Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) and Trusts and Estate Practitioner (TEP). Jemma is a regular presenter on superannuation and SMSFs for the Taxation Institute, Institute of Chartered Accountants, CPA and SMSFA across Australia. Jemma is the author of The Tax Institute’s popular publication for SMSF Advisers, the SMSF Guide, now in its ninth edition, and the author and convener of the Taxation Institute’s Graduate Diploma of Applied Tax Law Advanced Superannuation Unit. Jemma was named the SMSF Adviser of the Year at the 2019 National Women in Finance awards for the third year in a row and received the SMSF Association Chairman’s Award in February 2018 for her contribution to the industry.
- Current at
28 June 2022